Monday, March 18, 2013

St. Patty’s day weekend

The color green is associated with St. Patrick’s Day, which was yesterday.
From our Boston trip
Here in the US, St. Patricks’s day or St. Patty’s day, resonates with wearing green colored attire and drinking green beer. I am being told that it is strikingly opposite to how it is celebrated in Ireland. There the Irish stay at home, eat and pray with their families and do not drink any alcohol at all!

Friday night:
After not moving a muscle for the whole day, we decided to try out this new sushi bar that has opened in our neighborhood called Nagoya. The ambiance was great, the sushi and veggie rolls fresh and the service was spot on.
Left hand corner one was mine: AAC rolls (Avocado, some chinese leafy veg and cucumber) 

So beautiful!

Fried ice cream: Downright yummy!
I really liked the place and have reviewed it on yelp. It is nice to have a place to dine once in a while in your immediate neighborhood.

Saturday rolled in:
It was a beautiful and lovely day on Saturday in the morning. Rohith and I decided to go veggie shopping at Vuccuria in our neighborhood for the week.  That was when the weather turned for the worst. 
Nasty snowstorm
We took refuge into our favorite Turkish restaurant, Sofra, and incidentally it was lunch time too :)
Lentil soup is to die for!
Our entrees: So healthy and so appetizing! 
Baklawa: my most favorite part of the entire meal
We continued on our way to shop for the veggies, as Rohith had his taste buds set to have saambhar on Sunday.

St. Patty’s day celebration:
Our way to celebrate this festival was by eating something green cooked at home. On Saturday night, Rohith came up with this dinner idea and volunteered to execute it. 
Oh what a treat it was!
He single handedly made the broccoli raab and cherry tomatoes, onions and parm cheese salad with balsamic vinnegerate. We had it with toasted whole wheat bread and celebrated St. Patty’s day in our own way!

Roy household went South Indian on Sunday:
Since I have already made arrangements for making sambhar over the weekend, I did not want to go big on the lunch. Rohith agreed to have rava upma for breakfast. 
Quick and filling!
I did not have lunch and Rohith fixed himself a sandwich. Instead, I had a bhuna bhuttaa (roasted corn cob). I am really surprised that no one eats corn cob like Indians that is by roasting it and then slathering it in a lot of lime juice, salt and chili flakes.
Yum yum for a rainy day
I also fixed a mock-tail for myself by mixing cranberry and orange juice.
Cran+O.J- tasty
Finally, after preparing and cooking for a total of 2-3 hours, we were able to get the sambhar together. It made me have smoke out of my ears and tears in my eyes as it was so spicy. I made it especially from the scratch this time, even made fresh sambhar powder to go in this time. Rohith made rawa dosa to go along with it.

Spicy goodness for Rohith; teary and smoky for me!
Give it a try if you please

We made the entire sambhar and dosa from coconut oil this time and really liked it. I think I am going to start cooking more with the extra virgin coconut oil that I picked up at Marshalls a while ago. It is odorless and grease free, which is the best!

Breakfast this morning:
Rohith had to leave pretty early this morning, so we got up at 06:30 am. I packed a big breakfast for him along with the left over sambhar and rice (which I made for him early in the morning). For myself, I made dalia topped with blueberry jewels and a sandwich with home made butter, tomatoes, masculine salad leaves, parmesan cheese, avocado and hummus on whole wheat toast.  
Breakfast was perfect!
Don’t worry about the size of the sandwich, the dalia was filling enough. 

The rest of the day went like a breeze and I tried to race against the time to accomplish all the errands and chores before heading out of home tomorrow.

The workout:
I continued my yoga all weekend long with Sun salutation 1 and 2 post shower and the yoga sequence for getting rid of muffin top and weekend warrior yoga sequence. 

The week ahead:
It seems pretty packed and hectic. I will keep you guys posted in case there is some development on my special project’s front. I have a few deadlines to meet this week. Wish me luck!

Have a rocking week ahead folks.

I will be rooting for you all. xxx
 
Question of the day:
Is there a festival/holiday which you like to celebrate in your own way than the common way?

Do write to me at pallavibhar at gmail dot com or comment below.






No comments:

Post a Comment