Friday, March 15, 2013

Sehej pake so meetha hoye

From our Boston trip


"That which grows fast, withers as rapidly. That which grows slow, endures.- J.G. Holland, which my Mum translates to “Sehej pake so meetha hoye”. 
My Mum is full of idioms from Hindi and Sanskrit languages (her being a teacher of both the languages for more than two decades helps) and this has slowly seeped into my everyday vocabulary as well. 
Rohith often tries to imitate me and combines two Hindi idioms together. The end result is more than hilarious without fail. 

Midweek:
Weather has sure been unpredictable all week long. It suddenly became overcasted on Wednesday evening when I peeped out of my window.
About to pour?
Dinner at home:
I had a lot of colored peppers lying in the refrigerator from last week along with a cabbage. This is what I came up with  for dinner on Wednesday night.
Medley of vegetables
I also threw in the leftover scallions and potato curry in the mixed vegetables. The end result was thrilling. I also made chapatis at home and this little one with the last bit of dough left :) This brought back another one of my childhood memories. My Mum used to make these tiny chapatis for the three of us when we were growing up. Continuing the tradition now, Monal makes the same for Kanha everyday.

Home made delight

Rohith also had some berries for dessert later. This is his favorite idea for dessert when nothing else is available readily.

Quick and conveniently healthy dessert
Yesterday:
It was a crazy day. I was on my toes all day long. First I went and met one of my professional connections at Starbucks. I packed my breakfast of homemade sandwich and availed the Starbucks coupon for a free tall Hazel Maccachiato, which was downright yummy!
Later, I was at my internship for only a few hours, however I achieved a lot. I learned two new MS Office applications, Infoshare and Sharepoint, in one day. In the evening my friend, Laura, dropped by and we had our much awaited girls happy hour over coffee. She brought back a cute memento for me from her recent trip back home to Columbia along with a few goodies.

Dinner last evening:
As it has been an entire week of eating at home, I knew that Rohith was craving for something different. We decided to meet at West 4 Street train station and headed out to look for a place to eat. Boy was it cold last evening!
Without much deliberation, we decided to settle down at the Waverly Diner just outside the train station. Rohith had his favorite breakfast for dinner. 
Breakfast for dinner
I ordered their Veggie Burger Delux, which they burned real good upon my request.
Yum yum
Weekend begins:
Rohith did not go into work today and decided to take the day off. The breakfast as expected was grand. Rohith made a sandwich out of all the possible ingredients that we have inside the refrigerator. I gobbled it down with the smoked chipotle salsa and cranberry juice.
Breakfast has been served
Later we spoke to Juhi for sometime and she mentioned about having homemade lassi today. Of course we went ahead and followed suite. Rohith made salty lassi for our afternoon beverage with kala namak (rock salt), sookhaa pudina (dried and ground mint leaves) and bhuna zeera (roasted and ground cumin seeds).
Summertime is almost here
It was downright tasty and relaxing. I even dozed off for a few minutes after consuming the lassi.

Workout this morning:
I am still sore from the cardio workout on Wednesday morning, therefore I continued my Sun Salutation 1 and 2 post shower yesterday and today. I also did the yoga sequence for muffin top today.

Have a rocking weekend ahead folks! 

I will be rooting for you all. xxx

Question for the day:

  • Do you have a favorite idiom/(muhavara or kahawat in Hindi/Sanskrit) or in your mother tongue that you use frequently?
  • What is the one tradition that you continue to do while cooking for your kid that your Mum did when you were little?


Do write to me at pallavibhar at gmail dot com or comment below. 








No comments:

Post a Comment