Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Happy first day of the spring 2013!

"If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." African Proverb
©NirupamChandrBharadwaj
On the very first day of spring this year, I got to speak to my brother in India after a very long time. These are the lines, which came to my mind after I concluded my call with him. 

"You have goals. You want to achieve them. They may feel forever away. You may think you will never make it. You may wonder if it will all be worth it.
Instead of using your energy with all of that, focus on TODAY. Just today. What can you do TODAY to take steps towards your goals? What active choices can you make that affirm what you wish to achieve?
Take things day by day. Otherwise, it’s only natural that things shall seem overwhelming. Keep the big picture in mind, but when it comes to the decisions you make – take it one at a time. Just today. That is all you need to focus on. The here and now. The tasks you can fit in and accomplish today. The choices you can make when you have a minute to think. The positive words you can speak to yourself and to others. It all adds up with time and it starts today. Put all your energy there. Just today.
So these are my goals for 2013 for staying grounded even if I am having a less than normal day. I made them at the beginning of the year and today seemed like a great day to revisit them.
  • Walk to work: I try to get out of a station before my destination or walk to a station further than my usual station. Whenever Rohith says it’s a long walk, I try to convince him that we will be alright.
  • Observe your thoughts: Whenever I am on the train, I try to collect my thoughts and observe them for a few minutes everyday.
  • Eat healthy: This we have been able to accomplish, as a couple, by making little choices everyday. Buying fresh and locally made stuff for our daily meals being one.
  • Enjoy a long foot soak: Ok. So this is something that I try to do only once a week at home. When we are out in the city during summertime, I make sure to take my shoes off and soak my feet in the fountain or river for a long time.
  • Workout: If I don’t then I feel guilty. That is a good indicator of where I stand with this resolution. Isn’t it?
  • Pack breakfast and lunch: Have been able to keep this up for more than 4 days a week for almost all along this year. 
  • Home garden: We started our basil and mint plants last summer and this time we plan to add 2-3 more herbs and flowering plants to our little home garden.
  • Stick with routines: This is more or less fix for me. Rohith is trying his best to turn over a new leaf now.
  • Keep your space clean: This really drives me nuts. Maybe it’s some kind of post 30s eccentricities. If there are unwashed utensils in the sink, unwashed laundry, unclean stove top it really bothers me.
  • Volunteer: Anybody who knows me, knows this thing about me.
  • Explore a hobby: Blogging has taken the lead in comparison to most. Reading and listening to music, anytime and every time  are all time favorite. This has never changed since the beginning of times.
  • Spend time by yourself: I really relish the days when I am at home and Rohith is at work. I am able to plan my days in a better manner for sure when I am all by myself
  • Say no: So far this has been my biggest challenge and weakness. I am making a conscious effort for ridding myself of this bad habit.
  • Be gracious: I never forget to be this one.
Sorry to have bombarded you guys with such heavy dose today, however I believe that I need to pen down my thoughts via my own blog every once in a while.

Dinner at home:
Since I was still suffering from the aftermaths of the sambhar attack on Sunday, I decided to remain light handed on Monday night’s dinner. I made bottle gourd’s curry (ghiya/lauki ki sabzi) from my friend Juhi’s recipe. What a change that was!
Here for the rescue
I had the sabzi with rice and Rohith had it with strore bought pita bread. I also chopped up some cucumber with lemon, mint, rock salt and roasted cumin powder on the side. It was really tangy and tasty to go along with the simple bottle gourd curry.

Yesterday:
It was downright nasty in the morning. A day when you just don’t want to step outside your home. Despite that I went to my internship. To perk myself up, I wore the red houndstooth dress for the first time, the one I have bought last month from ideeli dirt cheap. The day started to unfold and I got a positive update on my most important project. The sun also came out and it was time celebrate. We went for drinks at Vig Bar and then had dinner at a very nice mexican restaurant in the same neighborhood called Barrio Chino. It was very nice and the food was great too (minus the wait time, which was well over half an hour despite the server telling us that it would only be 15 minutes). I am going to review it on yelp soon, so look out. It was so dark inside the restaurant that I did not take any pictures cause you all know that I hate flash photos. The only pic I took was of their much raved about jalapenos and grapefruit margarita. It was a bomb! Whoooo! I couldn’t even take a proper sip as it was  too spicy for me. 

This was a bomb!
Breakfast and lunch today:
Although it’s a pleasant sunny day outside, I was feeling a little less energetic than ususal this morning (maybe from of the small late night celebration in the city last night). I fixed myself roll with hummus, parmesan, home made butter, tomato, avocado and lots and lots of masculine salad leaves. It was nice to bring me up to speed for the day. I had it with a glass of cranberry juice. 
The usual
I was not feeling up for lunch so I fixed this quick smoothie for myself. 
Spring's freshness
Home grown happiness
Looks are deceptive: This rocked!
Workout today:
I tried to celebrate the spirit of spring by stretching myself more than usual. This is what all I accomplished.
  • Full body cardio warm up
  • How to get 6 pack abs and get rid of love handles.
I did my usual Sun salutations 1 and 2 post shower.

Rest of the week:
Lots of coffees and dinners are planned for the remainder of the week. Rohith and I are also planning to attend an artexpo on Saturday this weekend. Will let you know how it was!

Question of the afternoon:
  • What steps are you taking towards your goal that you might have set for yourself?
  • How are you marking your first day of spring?
Have a great remainder of the week!

I will be rooting for you folks. xxx

Do write to me at pallavibhar at gmail dot com or comment below.



No comments:

Post a Comment