Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Unique Father’s Day 2013

Beautiful lines, which personally resonate with me: "We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.- Anaïs Nin"(Courtesy/source my friend Parul Singh’s fb wall)
Coney Island on Friday afternoon last week
Father’s day was this past Sunday, June 16. Happy Father’s Day to all the Dads out there, who read my blog, as well as to all the wives for conveying the wishes to the Fathers!
As I informed to you all in my last blog post, we decided to do something completely out of the ordinary for Father’s Day this year. I will elaborate in a minute.

So majestic
I also visited the New York Aquarium on Friday to meet their Director, as it opened recently for the visitors after rebuilding because of the superstorm Sandy.

The entire Wildlife Conservation Society's team is so industrious that I lauded their efforts in front of the Director of the Aquarium along with tweeting promptly about the same. The officials are still working out of make shift caravans, as their basement offices are yet to open. It is always a feeling of bliss and tranquility, whenever I am there. Also I miss all the cutie pies in my life a lot including Kanha, Suhasini, Rohan and Ryan to name a few, especially when I am inside the aquarium. It makes me wonder how all of these tots would react to see the fish and other sea creatures from so little distance. I have seen other kids’ reactions of course, however I am sure they do not come close to those of my munchkins :)

Cooking at home over the weekend:
We gave cooking a break on Friday evening and went to the world famous L&B Spomoni Gardens for pizza in our neighborhood. It was a beautiful evening and watching the sun set in pinkish hues while enjoying their sicilian slice is an experience of it’s own kind. 
On our way back RR spotted pineapples in the local store and promptly asked the shop guy about how to choose the best. The Mexican gentleman was very sweet and helpful as he picked up just the right one for us. I had the brainstorm to suggest grilling the pineapple for a change. RR was dreaming about eating the pineapple all night long on Friday, so here you go, first thing on Saturday morning.

Grilled pineapple for breakfast. LoL!
The pineapple was so tasty that we could not stop ourselves from going back for it again and again.
RR also promptly whipped up his signature omelets with the whole shebang of hash browns and whole wheat toast for a later Saturday brunch. Three cheers for foodie husbands, who also love to cook!
Saturday morning staple
The pineapple was one of the best and healthiest desserts that we have eaten in a long time. Do give it a try. If you would like to make it, let me know and I will be happy to share the technique, no rocket science there though.
We spent most of the Saturday just gearing up for the big chore on Sunday. We also went for some shopping and similar tasks outside, you know the usual couple chores. 
I was beat from preparing for Sunday and my big bash on Monday morning, so Saturday night cooking was also off. RR had McD for dinner and later he prepared this yum Maggi noodle soup for me. You would be surprised to know that I used to loath Maggi noodles in India. We never had those at home when we were kids. My mum had simply banished them somehow from our snacks. In school, I used to see a few kids bring Maggi noodles for lunch, which used to clog up into this gooey mess and it was absolutely repulsive. However, after coming to NYC, I have seen RR make it in such a yummy, soupy way that now I am not so opposed to them once in a while.
Soupy soul food ;)
RR has taken to making lemonade at home and we have completely banished any store bought lemonade now. In India, we call it shikanji and he likes to refer it to as neembu paani. It was a little surprising for me to know that in the States they have lemons specifically to make lemonade. We do not get that variety in India. I mean now I am sure you can find everything there, however we did not see any lemons growing up. For us, yellow colored limes were lemons in India.

All home made including the mint
I was in a mood for bagels on Sunday morning for breakfast. RR went and got some fresh onion/sesame, and multigrain kind from Dunkin Donut to be had with whipped cream. I am sure you must have seen the family guy’s sequence when Stewie pronouns 'whipped cream' in a funny way to upset Brian. If you haven’t then do check it out on youtube. He does that to the word ‘ruin' too. So hilarious!

DD's courtesy

All home made including the mint on top
I have been meaning to have saaboodana/saago’s kichadi for a long time. In the past, I have tried to make it via Juhi’s recipe, which never fails. This time I decided to give my ex-colleague, Sharad Sir’s, recipe a try. It wasn’t so bad. I guess over time it’s coming out better and better. What say Juhi? We ate it with homemade dhaniye/pudine (mint/cilantro) chutney. RR polished the entire wok.


RR paired it with his home made lemonade drink.

Home made cocktail
I had it with my favorite cozy chamomile tea.


My most favorite
Breakfast on Monday morning:
I had a very hectic Monday planned already, so I put together a quick smoothie for myself before starting my week. RR is happily taking his artistic sandwiches that I craft diligently every morning for him.
My morning staple
Freebie:
I recently got samples of this amazing paste in mail to try.



Once an Indian always and Indian. I had to add my desi twist to this Mexican sauce before actually using it. I freshened it up with some of my quick masala of fresh grated garlic, ginger and Serrano peppers before adding the actual sauce.

The end result
I went ahead to make some moth daal (whole green lentils) with this sauce. It was so flavorful. Typical East meets West combo. The peppers from the sauce gave it a very smoky and rich flavor, while the fresh additions added nuances to the entire dish. We had it for dinner over rice with chutney and persian cucumbers. 
Melody in the wok
Celebrating Father’s Day:
From the news, personal experience and otherwise, we have been learning that so many people are trying to join back the work force right now. This year Rohith and I decided that we will donate as many clothes and accessories possible to Salvation Army and to the cloth donation drive in his office to help these individuals get back to work. After all these people are someone’s Father or might be a caregiver or provider for their own fathers.
We spent the entire day on Sunday sorting, stacking and packing those for donation. It was very tiring and frustrating to sort through RR’s official wardrobe and finalize. However the reward was the satisfaction that we got after the entire exercise got over. We have decided to give away dress shirts, dress pants, ties, belts, collared tees, t-shirts, woolens and so on. Our rule, if we have not used it last summer and winter, then it has to go.

So tiring

So satisfying
The remaining week:
I have been attending a series of professional conferences and award ceremony all this week and will continue to until tomorrow evening. It feels good to be a part of something worthwhile while trying to join somewhere full time actively.

Will meet you guys sometime soon.

Have a rocking remaining week ahead folks xxx

Question of the day:
  • How did you celebrate your Father’s day this year?
  • Have you tried cooking something with a new sauce or recipe lately?
  • Do you volunteer/donate your free time somehow? If yes, where is it and why do you choose that particular place?

Do write to me at pallavibhar at gmail dot com or comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment