Sunday, February 10, 2013

My first ever snowfall experience of this lifetime


We were here
I told you all last week that we were in for a snowstorm over the weekend. It seemed to have started on a lighter note in the form of sleet and rain in the morning on Friday, however by night time it started to snow lightly.

Weekend begins:
Rohith came home early on account of the snow storm and brought these goodies for tea time.
Marble pound cake and banana bread from Starbucks
We also had some salty and spicy snacks (sev) that we brought from India with tea.
Ratlami sev (gram flour snack)
Dinner on Friday:
It was just fit for the cold weather. After tea, Rohith got down to his business as usual of making the impending pasta from Thursday. In the meantime, we made our favorite campbell’s mushroom soup. That brought back childhood memories for Rohith. When his family was posted in Andamans, India, his mother used to make the Maggie’s mushroom soup for them all the time.
Healthy and yummy!
No exaggeration however Rohith makes the best pasta in marinara sauce that I have ever eaten. I even compare his marinara sauce to those we eat in the restaurants. This is how it looked.
Pasta in marinara sauce with freshly grated parmesan cheese

Afterwards, we decided to take a walk in the snow as it was my first ever snowfall of this lifetime. I cannot tell you how excited I was. It felt as though I turned 10 years old once again. 
So happy!

Reluctantly posing :)
Saturday morning:
I was so excited to show the fresh snow to all my folks back home that I got up at 8 am only. This is what we all saw and Rohith exclaimed that it will never get more beautiful than this.

Surreal
Breakfast:
Rohith always insists on a breakfast fit for the kings over the weekend. His typical breakfast comprises of Ham, egg and toast with hash browns. Of course he doesn’t get to cook/eat any meats at home, so poor thing makes the best of what he has. This is what he made.


Stuffed omelet with croissant and baked potato with home made butter, salt and pepper
The sun came out in the noon and it was very bright once again.

Allt that glitters

Workout yesterday: 

I decided to take a break from working out over the weekend as my lower back and hamstrings were giving me trouble. However I did yoga poses from fitsugar to relieve me of the tension in my lower back and hamstrings.
  • Sun salutations 1 and 2
  • 20 minutes weekend yoga sequence
  • Yoga sequence to relieve you of back pain 
We decided to stay at home for most of yesterday as it was very cold. In the evening, we went down for laundry and enjoyed these yummy pizza slices from our neighborhood pizzeria, while the clothes were in the wash.

Granma and plain slice. Yum yum
Sunday came and went:
We had a very late and lazy start to the day today. It’s Chinese new year today and we had made plans to go to China town for the parade. However, we changed our minds and decided to stay at home instead.

Breakfast this morning:
We decided to give omelets a break and prepared scrambled eggs instead. Rohith had the brainwave to add potatoes to them and it made the scrambles eggs super dry, just the way we love it. I absolutely cannot stomach the runny, wet omelets.


I added my twist by adding avocado to our eggs. I also spread my toast with avocado and shavings of parmesan cheese. Please note that I use an entire avocado in 3-4 times, as  we all know that an entire avocado is equivalent to a full size ice-cream sunday in calories. 

My favorite

Dinner tonight:
I had a pack of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) lying around along with one green bell pepper and fistful of frozen peas, so I decided to make this quick kadahi paneer for dinner tonight. It took me less than half an hour to accomplish it. I also made fresh chapatis along with it. Rohith said that it was restaurant quality. I am noting the recipe at the end of the post. Let me know how it comes out if you try it. 
Quick and tasty kadhai paneer
We spent the rest of the evening watching “Sherlock Holmes” on TV. Jude Law is absolutely the most handsome Dr. Watson ever.
The week ahead:
I have a big day tomorrow for more reasons than one. My closest friend here, Juhi, celebrates her birthday tomorrow and I have a very important professional engagement too.
I will let you all know how it went on Wednesday now. Have a great week ahead.
I will be rooting for you all xxxxx

Question for the day:
Where did you experience your first ever snowfall of lifetime and how was the experience?






Paneer in spicy kadhai masala:
Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
Servings: 4
 Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
 Category: Vegetarian
Ingredients
Cottage cheese (paneer),cut into 1 inch triangles500 grams
Oil3 tablespoons
Bay leaf2
Cloves2
Cinnamon2 inch piece
Dried red chillies2
Coriander seeds,crushed2 tablespoons
Onion ,sliced1 medium
Ginger paste2 teaspoons
Garlic paste2 teaspoons
Coriander powder1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder1 teaspoon
Tomato,chopped5-6 medium
Saltto taste
Method
Heat oil in a kadai; add bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, red chillies, broken into two, and half the crushed coriander seeds; sauté for half a minute. Add onion and sauté for a while; add ginger paste and garlic paste and sauté for a while longer. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder and tomatoes. Cook over high heat till the oil separates. Add paneer and salt and half a cup of water. Cook, covered, over low heat for five minutes. Serve hot, garnished with the remaining crushed coriander seeds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment