Saturday, January 19, 2013

Weekend begins early this week








The (early) weekend started on a good note on Friday evening. Rohith decided that he wanted to have khichudi* (his favorite meal of all) for dinner, which made my life very easy. I just soaked some rice and lentils (moong chhilke waali) in the pressure cooker with all standard Indian spices and voila! khichudi was done in less than ten minutes.  We devoured it with aam ka achaar (mango pickle), paapad, dhaniye ki chutni (cilantro/coriander), ghee (clarified butter) and dahi (plain yogurt). It’s a saying in our region in India that goes as “khichudi k paanch yaar; paapad, chatni, ghee, dahi aur achaar” translated it means that khichudi has five companions as listed above. So true!

Useful utensil:

By far, the pressure cooker I got from India has been my savior in testing times here. As much as Rohith detests it, I cannot thank my mother enough to pack it for me on my way to NY. I am able to prepare almost any and every curry or lentil in this ingenious utensil in less than half and hour.

Workout:
Workout yesterday shifted to the kitchen space and comprised of the following.
Step 1:  10 minutes no equipment Cardio warm up
Step 2: 10 minutes rigorous lower body workout
Step 3:  10 minutes fat blasting workout
Step 4: Sun salutation (Surya namaskar) 1 and 2

Breakfast:
Breakfast was a repeat as I still had half an avocado left. Rohith whipped up his own sandwich and decided to give me a break from cooking all day yesterday.


You win some, you loose some:
We have been lucky to get rid of a lot of old stuff from our apartment in the recent past. All thanks to Craigslist! The latest to go was Rohith’s favorite and old time pal Apple G4 Mac desktop computer. He was truly heart broken to give it away as they have been buddy’s since 2001 but we absolutely do not have any room for it right now.

3Le3Md3F55Ie5Nd5Gbd1ce0e6140d94b41b15.jpg


The things that you buy online are a hit or a miss depending on your luck. Our latest find was not so useful after all and we are returning it. 


These folding portable lap trays are not as handy and easy to use as the ad claims. Be on a lookout and review everything carefully on amazon.com before going ahead and ordering it. We have learned it the hard way.
We waited very patiently all evening at home for the UPS guy to come and pick them up. However, he messed up with the address and never came. An evening wasted......

Last evening movements:
I decided to give yoga a skip today. Instead, I tried these crazy moves to get rid of saddle. They are killer  moves and I am still feeling the effect in my hamstrings and glut. I was not able to do the ones with the chair and exercise ball, as I do not have them right now. I used the modified versions instead and went an extra mile, as I knew dinner would be an order in.

Pizza night:
After much deliberation we decided to go subway for dinner tonight. On our way, we had a sudden change of heart and went to our neighboring pizzeria Lenny’s Pizza instead. All the slices were heavenly and the potato croquettes were sinful but yum!



Question for today:

  • How do you guys plan to do for staying on fitness track if a long weekend or inevitable binging sessions are coming up?
  • Have you ever had an experience of buying something online and then returning it later?
Do write to me at pallavibhar@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you. xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment